Rural America and Coronavirus Epidemic: Challenges and Solutions
European Journal of Environment and Public Health, 2020, 4(2), em0040, https://doi.org/10.29333/ejeph/8200
There are emerging concerns about the preparedness of rural communities in the United States in the face of the 2019 novel coronavirus (called SARS-CoV-2, causing the disease COVID-19) considering the existing disparities across the social determinants of health between rural and urban Americans. Taking into account the current exponential rate of spread of the coronavirus, this article critically examines the risk facing the 60 million Americans living in rural areas, discusses possible solutions pertaining to rural COVID-19 prevention, and examines measures to consider to prepare for this epidemic before it reaches rural areas.
Ameh, G. G., Njoku, A., Inungu, J., and Younis, M. (2020). Rural America and Coronavirus Epidemic: Challenges and Solutions. European Journal of Environment and Public Health, 4(2), em0040. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejeph/8200
Ameh, G. G., Njoku, A., Inungu, J., & Younis, M. (2020). Rural America and Coronavirus Epidemic: Challenges and Solutions. European Journal of Environment and Public Health, 4(2), em0040. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejeph/8200
Ameh GG, Njoku A, Inungu J, Younis M. Rural America and Coronavirus Epidemic: Challenges and Solutions. EUROPEAN J ENV PUBLI. 2020;4(2):em0040. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejeph/8200
Ameh GG, Njoku A, Inungu J, Younis M. Rural America and Coronavirus Epidemic: Challenges and Solutions. EUROPEAN J ENV PUBLI. 2020;4(2), em0040. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejeph/8200
Ameh, Governor G, Anuli Njoku, Jeff Inungu, and Mustafa Younis. "Rural America and Coronavirus Epidemic: Challenges and Solutions". European Journal of Environment and Public Health 2020 4 no. 2 (2020): em0040. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejeph/8200
Ameh, Governor G et al. "Rural America and Coronavirus Epidemic: Challenges and Solutions". European Journal of Environment and Public Health, vol. 4, no. 2, 2020, em0040. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejeph/8200
- Blavin, F. and Arnos, D. (2020). Hospital Readiness for COVID-19: Analysis of Bed Capacity and How It Varies Across the Country. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Available at: https://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2020/03/hospital-readiness-for-covid19-analysis-of-bed-capacity-and-how-it-varies-across-the-country.html
- CDC COVID-19 Response Team. (2020). Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)—United States, February 12–March 16, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 69, 343-346. https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6912e2
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020). Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview.html (Accessed 9 April 2020).
- Chinazzi, M., Davis, J. T., Ajelli, M., Gioannini, C., Litvinova, M., Merler, S., … Xiong, X. (2020). The effect of travel restrictions on the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak. medRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.02.09.20021261
- Ebrahim, S. H., Ahmed, Q. A., Gozzer, E., Schlagenhauf, P. and Memish, Z. A. (2020). COVID-19 and community mitigation strategies in a pandemic. BMJ, 368, m1066. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1066
- Emanuel, E. J., Persad, G., Upshur, R., Thome, B., Parker, M., Glickman, A., … Phillips, J. P. (2020). Fair allocation of scarce medical resources in the time of COVID-19. The New England Journal of Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb2005114
- Healthleadersmedia.com. (2020). Two-Thirds of U.S. Hospital Beds Are Already Occupied. HealthLeaders. Available at: https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/clinical-care/two-thirds-us-hospital-beds-are-already-occupied (Accessed 9 April 2020).
- Jordan, R. E., Adab, P. and Cheng, K. K. (2020). COVID-19: risk factors for severe disease and death. BMJ, 368, m1198. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1198
- Kaufman, B., Pink, G. and Holmes, M. (2016). Prediction of financial distress among rural hospitals. NC Rural Health Research Program Findings Brief: Chapel Hill, NC, USA, 9, pp. 1665-1672. Retrieved from https://www.shepscenter.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2015Prediction-of-Distress.pdf
- Madani, T. A., Althaqafi, A. O. and Alraddadi, B. M. (2014). Infection prevention and control guidelines for patients with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection. Saudi Med J, 35(8), 897-913. Retrieved from http://applications.emro.who.int/imemrf/Saudi_Med_J/Saudi_Med_J_2014_35_8_897_913.pdf
- Patel, A. and Jernigan, D. B. (2020). Initial public health response and interim clinical guidance for the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak—United States, December 31, 2019–February 4, 2020. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 69(5), 140. https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6905e1
- Peterson, L. E., Newton, W. P. and Bazemore, A. W. (2020). Working to advance the health of rural Americans: an update from the abfm. The Annals of Family Medicine, 18(2), 184-185. https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.2526
- Rashid, H., Haworth, E., Shafi, S., Memish, Z. A. and Booy, R. (2008). Pandemic influenza: mass gatherings and mass infection. The Lancet. Infectious diseases, 8(9), 526. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(08)70186-5
- Satcher, D. (2011). The Impact of Disparities in Health on Pandemic Preparedness. Journal of health care for the poor and underserved, 22(3), 36-37. https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2011.0099
- Seeks, W. C. B. (2018). Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved from http://applications.emro.who.int/imemrf/Saudi_Med_J/Saudi_Med_J_2014_35_8_897_913.pdf
- Smith, A. C., Bensink, M., Armfield, N., Stillman, J. and Caffery, L. (2005). Telemedicine and rural health care applications. Journal of postgraduate medicine, 51(4), 286. Retrieved from http://www.jpgmonline.com/text.asp?2005/51/4/286/19242
- Smith, A. C., Thomas, E., Snoswell, C. L., Haydon, H., Mehrotra, A., Clemensen, J. and Caffery, L. J. (2020). Telehealth for global emergencies: Implications for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 1357633X20916567. https://doi.org/10.1177/1357633X20916567
- Snoswell, C., Mehrotra, A., Thomas, E., Smith, K., Haydon, H., Caffery, L. and Smith, A. (2020). Making the most of telehealth in COVID-19 responses, and beyond. Croakey. Available at: https://croakey.org/making-the-most-of-telehealth-in-covid-19-responses-and-beyond/
- Staff, C. S., Archives, C. C., iCritical Care, A. A., Blog, C. C., Connect, S. C. C. M., App, S. C. C. M. and Demand, C. O. (2020). United States Resource Availability for COVID-19.
- United States Census Bureau. (2019). American community survey. Retrieved from https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2019/acs/acs-41.pdf
- World Health Organization. (2020). Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): situation report - 12. Available at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports
- Zhang, P., Tao, G. and Anderson, L. A. (2003). Differences in access to health care services among adults in rural America by rural classification categories and age. Australian Journal of Rural Health, 11(2), 64-72. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1584.2003.00454.x
- Zhou, X., Snoswell, C. L., Harding, L. E., Bambling, M., Edirippulige, S., Bai, X. and Smith, A. C. (2020). The Role of Telehealth in Reducing the Mental Health Burden from COVID-19. Telemedicine and e-Health. https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2020.0068
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.